The Huntington Library Master Plan
The Huntington Library, Art Museum, and Botanical Gardens is a collections-based research and educational institution established in 1919 by Henry E. and Arabella Huntington on the grounds of their residence in San Marino. A key figure in the development of Southern California, Huntington was an active collector of British and American rare books and manuscripts, as well as British and European art. In addition to its research fellowship program, the Huntington opens its library, gallery buildings, and botanical gardens to the public.
Our Master Plan for the campus, completed with Sasaki and Gensler, serves as a blueprint for preservation and development of the Huntington campus. The Plan provides guidelines for architecture, landscape, and site development, clarifies campus connections and overall circulation, and proposes enhancements to public education functions. It balances resources, revenue endowment, and capital allocation, and prioritizes needed initiatives throughout the campus.
The Huntington, Building and Grounds Committee
Library, Museum, and Gardens