Muskegon Museum of Art Breaks Ground on 26,000 SF Expansion
The Muskegon Museum of Art Foundation broke ground on its first expansion project in 30 years, led by Boston-based Annum Architects (previously Ann Beha Architects) and Mathison | Mathison Architects, along with owner’s representative Construction Simplified, both of Grand Rapids, Michigan. Founded in 1912, the Muskegon Museum of Art holds a significant collection of American and European artworks, sculpture and studio glass. The 26,000 SF expansion is driven by a renewed vision for exhibitions programming, collections growth, and community outreach through new exhibition spaces, an outdoor sculpture plaza, museum shop, classrooms, events space, and a roof terrace. Due to generous donations from two of the country’s leading art collectors, the Museum will soon be one of the only museums in the world to have a permanent space dedicated to the work of women artists.
A leader in museum design, Annum has completed award-winning buildings for the Shelburne Museum, the Currier Museum of Art, the New Britain Museum of American Art, the Portland Art Museum, and the Center for Netherlandish Art at the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, and a Welcome Center for the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum. Other recent work includes master plans for the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History and the State Museum of Pennsylvania, the renovation and expansion Mattatuck Museum, and renovation of Chicago’s landmark Newberry Library.